Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Irreplaceable

It's been over a month since our last post... but do not fret my fellow hummingbirds, we have been dabbling in lots of ways to green our home.  And with the amazingly warm weather we had last month, we saved 20% on our electricity bill just from being able to turn the furnace off.  That was a nice plus!

My microwave died a few years ago.  Well, actually, it still worked, but when I would go to microwave something, sparks would fly.  So, I sent it away to be recycled.  I was looking forward to the additional counter space because I always knew how bad microwaving can be for your food.  It is pretty much common knowledge, I think, that when you zap your food, you zap the nutrients.  While any type of heat will reduce the nutrients, steaming your veggies, for example, is a much better way to go.  You should NEVER microwave plastic, even though I foolishly bought "microwave safe" plastic from Tupperware many years ago, there is no such thing!  I don't care what the FDA has approved.  With the unknowns of exactly how bad it is, I decided it was truly irreplaceable.

I've read that the microwave was invented by the Nazi's, for their soldiers convenience.  Obviously anything coming from those guys is bad!  Some countries have even since banned the things.  There is some research that I've read that says that microwaving food changes the molecules and forms carcinogens, absorbed by your stomach and bloodstream.  Whenever there is controversy around whether a product can cause cancer, I'd always rather err on the side of caution.

Some people think it's a little weird.  I'm pretty much the only person I know who doesn't have one, and I'll admit, I still use the one at work for lack of other options.  But at home I'm quite content to heat up my food in a cast iron pan, or in the toaster oven.  I think when Chris and I moved in together, he was a little annoyed, but he's used to it now.  About the only thing that we can't do, is reheat coffee.  I have done it on the stove, but if you're going to that effort, you might as well just brew a new one.  Or have a glass of water.

I saw this piece on The Marilyn Dennis show, featuring Naturopath, Bryce Wylde.  I'm a big fan of her show, and I especially love that she features guest experts like him. These are his reasons to avoid it. Click here to watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment