Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Brought to you by Bullfrog Power

"The planet has 7 billion people on it, and they all want iPod's" Chris likes to say. I cringe when he does because I have three, and an iPhone. We don't claim to be perfect, but we want to do better. Last summer, we watched Dirt! The movie, and we were inspired by the story of the hummingbird. We certainly don't want to be like those other animals, just watching as their forest burns to a crisp. For the last seven years, I have made an effort to make some changes to the way that I live, and Chris is on a mission to save the planet. Together we're a great pair, aren't we?  So I said to Chris a little while ago "maybe we should try and give ourselves challenges?" and the idea of our blog was born (yes, I'm pretty much saying it was my idea)!  .

The first step was to tackle the biggest chunk of our carbon footprint, our home.  We talked about the idea of signing up for Bullfrog Power for months.  I was hesitant at first because I wasn't too familiar with how it works, and wasn't sure how much it was going to cost.  In December, I cancelled the cable, so we figured that we were breaking even with the cost.  We haven't received our first bill yet, but I anticipate it will cost us less than $30 a month (this includes hydro and natural gas).  Basically, you are buying green energy to pump into the grid (reducing the use of coal, nuclear and other nasty sources of energy) in the amounts that you use every month.  Since we live in a small home, it's pretty affordable. Although, I'll admit it's the natural gas that is really pricey, if you want to start small, buying Bullfrog powered hydro is a great way to go, you can choose. Of your usage, you decide how much you want to be Bullfrog powered, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal.  Every little bit helps.  And, for those of you who know me, you know that I work for a pretty great company that supports earth friendly initiatives, so I was lucky enough to snag an employee discount (and many of you can too)!

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, we're ready to move to our next challenge, and tell you all about it on our Bullfrog powered blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment